Thursday, September 16, 2010

Why do I still serve you?

These  are the amazing lines I have borrowed from a TOI Blog....Thought Provoking....


Why do I still serve you?


How you play with us, did you ever see?

At Seven, I had decided what I wanted to be;I would serve you to the end,

All these boundaries I would defend.

Now you make me look like a fool,When at seventeen and just out of school;

Went to the place where they made "men out of boys"

Lived a tough life …sacrificed a few joys…

In those days, I would see my "civilian" friends,

Living a life with the fashion trends;Enjoying their so called "college days"

While I sweated and bled in the sun and haze…

But I never thought twice about what where or why

All I knew was when the time came, I'd be ready to do or die.

At 21 and with my commission in hand,Under the glory of the parade and the band,

I took the oath to protect you over land, air or sea,

And make the supreme sacrifice when the need came to be.

I stood there with a sense of recognition,

But on that day I never had the premonition,

that when the time came to give me my due,

You'd just say, "What is so great that you do?"

Long back you promised a well-to-do life;

And when I'm away, take care of my wife.

You came and saw the hardships I live through,And I saw you make a note or two,

And I hoped you would realise the worth of me;

but now I know you'll never be able to see,

Because you only see the glorified life of mine,

Did you see the place where death looms all the time?

Did you meet the man standing guard in the snow?

The name of his newborn he does not know...

Did you meet the man whose father breathed his last?

While the sailor patrolled our seas so vast?

You still know I'll not be the one to raise my voice

I will stand tall and protect you in Punjab Himachal and Thois.

But that's just me you have in the sun and rain,

For now at twenty-four, you make me think again;

About the decision I made, seven years back;

Should I have chosen another life, some other track?

Will I tell my son to follow my lead?

Will I tell my son, you'll get all that you need?

This is the country you will serve

This country will give you all that you deserve?

I heard you tell the world "India is shining"

I told my men, that's a reason for us to be smiling

This is the India you and I will defend!

But tell me how long will you be able to pretend?

You go on promise all that you may,

But it's the souls of your own men you betray.

Did you read how some of our eminent citizens

Write about me and ridicule my very existence?

I ask you to please come and see what I do,

Come and have a look at what I go throughLive my life just for a day

Maybe you'll have something else to say?

I will still risk my life without a sighTo keep your flag flying high

but today I ask myself a question or two…Oh India…. Why do I still serve you?

3 comments:

  1. Very passionate about militarily serving the country huh!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not my Passion,it is the passion of 22 year old Late Capt. Vikram Batra, Late Capt. Saurabh Kalia, Late Maj. Unnikrishnan that I want to highlight....Just trying to provoke some thought into the minds of the readers about the man who puts his life on line so that mine would remain safe...who stays awake so that I can sleep peacefully...A person who is being branded as some hoodlum by these so-called "liberal" mediapeople because he is doing his constitutional duty in Kashmir...they dont overthrow the civilian govt. like Pakistan, they are just following orders...They rescue us from floods, earthquakes, Terror Attacks and recently when the manpower was required at the CWG, the army was asked to step in without being offered any extra compensation for their efforts.Just want people to remember them and respect them other than war times...just want people to stop taking them for granted...Just want that soldier to be respected for his courage and patriotism

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get it from? Really nice. Though the line about will i tell my son to follow my lead? i liked the most. true picture. :) . Though i will say india is independent since last 63 years and our parents generation was more patriotic and never gave a second though of joining armed forces. Money was not the factor of joining forces earlier , was more based on patriotism and respect. but the present generation is concerned about a stable life and i will say i was never the less patriotic than my friends who joined the forces.I will say dont be loud for the Army as per definition it is an armor/shield for a nation while the strength to carry that armor/shield is the civilian as he is the one who pays taxes and also at one point of time chooses to become the shield or weapon by himsel . People have seen the picture that mostly those who are not good in academics join forces today, earlier the brighter side chose defense life , hence the respect was there. Per say a person joining armed forces had his minimal salary/good life for his family and great respect from civilians as his package. Seems the last item of the package has been taken off by low moral values of few goons in the forces and recent incidents.

    ReplyDelete