Friday, July 23, 2010

My Tattoo Story....

I had been mulling over this idea for a long time. Back in India there were many obstacles...my parents would never have allowed it, they were appalled even now when they heard I had it done but there wasnt much they could do as I am married now, living a bit away and considerably mature (they seriously doubt the last one though!).. Also, back home I didnt really have any specific tattoo design on my mind...I didnt want to go through all that pain to have some flower or some other random design engraved on my skin.

So after falling in love...getting married and coming to Europe and having the advantage of a lot of free time on my hands (Plz dont misinterpret the'free time' concept..its just that Assignments,PPTs,Exams,Job Interviews, Hostel life and Chatting with Gursher whole night kept me lot busier in India...its another issue that now that we are married and are together all the time, we dont talk whole night ever...I wonder what married life does to u :P), I gave this idea some serious thought and considered a specific tattoo design. Internet was my best source of information and found a lot of stuff about Tattoos....these things arent the latest trend...Tattoo designs have a long history, they have been found on mummified bodies dating back to 3300 BC and have been part of many cultures including our Indian culture.

I also learned that its a very painful procedure and there are many precautionary details involved and therefore decided that if I have to get it done the design better be worth the pain...and after much contemplation, I decided to get my sweetheart's name engraved on my skin forever. I chose the Gurumukhi script because his name looked best in that. When I inquired about Tattoo Parlors, I found one next to my home and got an appointment 2 months later because of the waiting!!...  convincing Gursher wasnt easy as he feared it might hurt a lot or cause me some permanent damage in terms of infection etc.....

Finally,got through all these hurdles and  got tattooed on June 12,2010. The name 'Gursher' is inscribed on the lower inner side of my arm in magenta color signifying Love and Femininity :).... To say that this procedure was infinitely painful wouldnt do justice to what I really felt...that searing and blinding pain can only be described and understood by those who have gotten inked themselves and my darling husband didnt help the matters much when while holding my hand and standing by my side, asked me how painful is it when he was supposed to distract me from that very topic!!.. :P.....



If you ask me if it was all worth it...I would say it was worth every Goddamn second of it! Its not just a tattoo...its a tribute to the love I have for Gursher.  I dont approve of people drugging themselves in anyway and then getting tattooed. Alcohol isnt permitted because it thins your blood and you will tend to bleed more...Anaesthesia isnt a safe option and involves plenty of Health risks and anyway it isnt used anywhere here.

Getting a Tattoo done is like a rite of passage and pain is an integral part of that rite..Don't Cheat.. if you dont have the guts to bear that pain, may as well dont get it. Getting scarred for life is no mean feat so show some COURAGE... ;)

5 comments:

  1. hats off to both of you...you for obvious reasons and Gursher for inspiring you with his love....Love you guys!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm good good... liked it and the story :) Looks nice too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the simplicity with which your thoughts and feelings come out of your heart and into your mouth n writing... :)....keep it up gal.. awaited ur blog for a long time... :))

    ReplyDelete